The 23rd ACM Symposium on Document Engineering
August 22, 2023 to August 25, 2023
DocEng'23 will take place in the Kemmy Business School building, University of Limerick campus as a full, in person event. For more information please visit our Programme page
For further information please contact the organizers via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit this page again as more information will follow.
Limerick is Ireland’s third largest city and is located in the mid-west of Ireland, near to the Atlantic coast.
The city dates from around 812 when it was settled by the Vikings, however, there is strong evidence of earlier settlements in the area which surrounds King’s Island. This island was originally included in a map from 150 AD by Ptolemy, where it was named ‘Regia’. The city was transformed in the 12th Century, when King John’s Castle (1200) and St Mary’s Cathedral (1168) were built. These two magnificent buildings are open to the public as visitor attractions and are well worth a visit.
In the 17th century, Limerick became one of Ireland’s major ports and Georgian Limerick began to evolve. The fine Georgian quarter still retains the wonderful architecture of that time.
Limerick has grown into a diverse and culturally exciting city with a population of 94,193 (2016). The city offers a wide range of visitor attractions, restaurants, bars and shops. It is known for being Ireland’s Sporting Capital and is the home of Munster Rugby. It is also home to three educational institutions and attracts many multinational companies, who are drawn here by the ease of doing business in Ireland.
Where to stay
DocEng'23 will take place in the University of Limerick campus. There are a number of accommodation options that we especially made arrangements with for DocEng'23 delegates:
- Castletroy Park Hotel. This 4-star hotel is situated close to the university, only 1 Km away or a 15 minutes walk. For reservations please contact the hotel directly via email at email@example.com or by phone at +353 61 335566 and mention UL with reference #462851. We have a special B&B rate/night of €109 single or €119 double/twin for the duration of the conference but for a limited number of rooms. If using other booking systems the rate could be higher.
- Kilmurry Lodge Hotel. This 3-star hotel is situated 2.5 Km away or a 25 minutes walk from the conference venue. Bed & Breakfast rate per room per night for a classic Single Room: €140.00, other options also available). To book at this rate, please use promo code DOCENG23 on the official hotel's website or the dedicate DocEng'23 page.
- Cappavilla Village, University of Limerick - €65.00 per person, per night (single occupancy) bed and continental breakfast. Cappavilla Village is located on the campus of the University of Limerick, on the banks of the River Shannon. Accommodation consists of shared apartments with private, single occupancy ensuite bedrooms. The apartments have a shared living and kitchen space for delegates. Other amenities include: High speed WiFi, secure key card entry to apartment block, apartment and bedroom, On site team to deal with check in and queries, bed linen, towels and toiletries provided. All queries from DocEng'23 delegates in relation to Cappavilla Village can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many other bed & breakfast accommodation options are available in the Castletroy area where the University of Limerick is situated.
There is a number of excellent hotels in the city centre, however please note that the University is some 5 Km away. A number of bus routes operate from the City centre to UL and the journey takes some 20 minutes in low traffic but up to 50 minutes during rush hours.
We strongly recommend that you book your accommodation well in advance as prices during the summer can increase significantly.
How to get here
Getting to and from Ireland has never been easier or more affordable.
Shannon Airport allows visitors to arrive right into the heart of the Wild Atlantic Way. It is the primary international airport facilitating flights in and out of the West Coast of Ireland. This airport offers flight destinations to and from Europe, the UK, the USA and Canada.
Shannon Airport is located close to Limerick (30km). Taxi is recommended to travel from this airport to the University of Limerick campus. The Limerick - Shannon - Ennis bus 343 can also be used to travel to Limerick Bus Station, then change to one of the local buses for UL from the William Street bus stop, a 5 minutes walk away.
If you’re travelling to the United States from Shannon, the airport offers US Preclearance facilities. It means you can undertake all immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections before you leave, making your arrival in the US easier and faster.
Dublin Airport is located 204km from Limerick by road and offers further international flight options to choose from. Bus is recommended to travel from this airport to the University of Limerick campus. Below are two coach operators who offer fast and efficient services from Dublin Airport. For up to date pricing and timetables, please visit their official website.
- Dublin Coach: Route 300 of the Green Big Bus company (also known as the Dublin Coach M7-Express) starts just outside of Dublin Airport in the bus stop area and has a drop off at the University of Limerick campus. Please note that almost 20 minutes from the airport, there is one change in Dublin, at the first stop at Red Cow. Here you change the bus and take the Route 300 for Limerick (the bus will go to either Ennis, Killarney or Tralee towns). Tickets can be booked online for €35 return (student fares are available)
- Eireagle: Stops approximately a 15 minute walk from the University of Limerick Campus
Cork Airport is located 109km from Limerick.
Citylink offers a service from Cork Airport to Limerick City Centre, where you can either change onto a local bus or take a taxi to the University campus.
Things to do
See here for a list of things to do in Limerick
Places to visit
Our top picks
- King John’s Castle
- St Mary’s Cathedral
- The Hunt Museum
- Treaty City Brewery
- Bunratty Castle & Folk Park
- Cliffs of Moher
- The Burren
Places to eat
See here for a list of places to eat in Limerick